Consonants and Vowels...

As I go on my journey that is my life, I am inclined to write about experiences or feelings, share pics, recipes, ideas, oh just whatever may pop into my cluttered brain. Feel free to read and or share if you so desire...

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Disengaged

Try not to engage yourself with your 12 year old that is taunting you... Yikes. I thought it impossible. But, It is working. Today, at the drug store, Colin threw a huge tantrum because I would not buy him a Hannah Montana wig that he wants for Halloween... I said "no". I turned around and waited for the kid to blow... He did. Like Mount Vesuvius (how ever it is spelled!?). Erupted all over the store. Yelling, crying, stomping. Normally, I would have chased after him, yelled at him to stop, begged him... whatever it took. I ignored it. It only lasted about 2 minutes. (It seemed MUCH longer) Then, he came marching over and announced he was running away forever. I looked down at him and said "Oh, okay, well I am paying for my order and I will be done in a few minutes" and turned around ignoring him again. He ran away screaming. This time only maybe 10 seconds and then he just came back and waited for me to be done and we left without another word. It is so embarrassing when he does this in public, but by not letting him draw me in, the tantrum seemed to be much shorter with a lot less intensity to it. Now if I can get the whole family to buy into it.

0 comments: