Consonants and Vowels...

As I go on my journey that is my life, I am inclined to write about experiences or feelings, share pics, recipes, ideas, oh just whatever may pop into my cluttered brain. Feel free to read and or share if you so desire...

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Real Life










I just finished watching "Dan in Real Life". I laughed and cried. So did my son. It was a great movie. Have any of you seen it? If you haven't, turn away, I am going to discuss some details! In the movie, Dan is a widower and he lost the love of his life to an illness. He has 3 daughters that he is raising alone. The teenagers in it are hilarious. Anyway, he goes to his families house in I think it was Rhode Island for the Hoildays and ends up meeting this woman in a bookstore and they talk for hours that day. He ends up getting her number because she has to leave and he is really excited because there was this instant connection. He goes home and is telling his whole family about this woman he met when his brother's new girlfriend enters the kitchen and it was "her". The bookstore woman. The whole Holiday visit is torture for both of them because they can see how much they want to be with each other and feel like they just can't because of the brother... They end up together...

It was adorable. But it got my little noggin thinking about "Real Life". We watch movies like this and those of us that have been married for 13 years start looking at our own relationships. Geesh. Why can't my husband and I sit and talk like that for hours? We must have nothing in common anymore! ... NOT TRUE. We do have alot in common and have talked everyday for the last 13 years! If I think back though to the days when we first met, well we did talk for hours. I ate him up. Could not get enough. Slowly, things change though, don't they? The magic doesn't die, but it sure does change and it goes through cycles. We still have so much fun together. We have alot of inside jokes, he knows just what to say to make me feel better... sometimes, he can be an ass and he doesn't say those things, but then he does and the world melts around me. He knows me. My mind, my body, my likes, my dislikes, the neurotic ways my mind turns and he still loves me. Even when I am bad. Our relationship isn't perfect. At times, it can be messy. But, that is life! Life is messy and it can be all sorts of fucked up but we still make the best of it.

If you have not seen that movie, you should watch it. Very cute. I just love Steve Carrell.

2 comments:

Kim Campbell said...

Just wanted to say hi! I was born and raised in Fort Wayne until 13. My parents retired to Fremont after living in Gary for 30 years.

Hubby and I have lived in Texas for a year now, but sure do miss Indiana!

SunTiger said...

I haven't watched the movie but what you described sounds so much like so many psychic clients who post questions for advice on the boards at LivePERSON.com. So many people fall in love with someone who is already married (and feel convinced the two of them are soul mates while the unsuspecting spouse is either related or a friend).