Consonants and Vowels...

As I go on my journey that is my life, I am inclined to write about experiences or feelings, share pics, recipes, ideas, oh just whatever may pop into my cluttered brain. Feel free to read and or share if you so desire...

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Let it snow?

I dreamt of snow last night. I was outside twirling around in a snow fury...It was everywhere! I would reach out and catch snowflakes examining them one by one, their crystalline hex-like structures all telling me tales. I wore no coat, but was not cold. Normally, I dislike snow. In my dream I was covered in it. It was in my black hair, on my lashes, my nose, my fingers were dusted with it and I was standing ankle deep in it with no shoes. As it touched my skin, I could feel the tiny flakes melting and melding into me one at a time. I felt serene and happy. I saw something in the snow. In the distance, it was red. It was half buried but I walked over to it and brushed the snow away to find a bright red shiny apple. I took a bite and went to sleep (in my dream!). In my dreams dream I dreamt of flying with geese. It was a weird one. I saw my grandfather who passed, I saw people I didn't know, but they sure knew me...

The hexefus stood out to me. The witches foot. The shape of the snowflake. Which makes me think of Madame Winter, Frau Holt, Dame Holda, Hella, Frau Holle... She has many names. A few years ago, she made it into my dreams often during the winter months. I had done some research on her and bookmarked some pages... Here is one of them.

It is said that on windswept midnights she rides forth as Wild Huntress of Souls. Her hair streaming, her hel-hounds baying, she courses through time and space with an eldritch horde of Witches, ghosts, and spirits following in her wake. Hella’s name has been derived from Indo-European KOLYO which signifies “ covered”, or “ veiled”. This relates to magical concepts of hiddeness, realms of mystery, and the veil that trembles between the world dimensions concealing the ultimate secrets from mortal sight. Hella is the Mistress of all haunted regions, which exist paradoxically in between the realms of mortals and spirits, the living and dead, light and dark. Hella, the Great Goddess of liminal times, tides, and places can reveal the secrets of Angles, which lead beyond our circles of space and time, and which open onto other spheres of existence at certain sites and seasons. These secrets are contained in her primary magical symbol, the six pointed hexe-star, or hexefus ( Witches Foot). The hexefus star is identified with the cosmic “Rune of Nine Mothers,” Hagalaz. Hella is the divine patroness of the shadowy Gothic Witch Cult of the North, and Witches were sometimes called Unholdas, after their tutelary Goddess of old medieval Germany. In fact Gothic traditions speak of certain “Scythian Witch Women” called Hel-Runes (Haliurunae) who were the ancestress of the Hunnish peoples. Linked to the term is the Alraun, the name given to the mandrake root of northern folk magic, the Sorceress Manakin employed in Hella’s ancient witchery. In actuality, her Hel-Runes are the keys of arcane, non-Euclidean geometries which unseal the planes and gateways beyond this world. Hence, Hella is the primeval Goddess of the transcosmic boundary zone, the word hedge, or “Haga”. She can teach us where the gaps or passages appear which open in the barrier and give access to unearthly realms of awesome and terrific power. The word “hag”, and “hex” both originate from old names for a Witch, or practitioner of Hella’s magical pathway. The Anglo-Saxon word “Haegtessa”, ( Hagazussa, in Old German) means Hedge Rider, or One Who Sits on the Hedge. The term denotes an individual who haunts the borderlands of existence at the edge of space and time. It indicates one who traverses the line dividing the phenomenal and the numinous, one who hovers magically between the dimensions and worlds. Just as Hella presides over all spatial and temporal zones of in-betweeness, such as the Witching Hour, or stroke of midnight, which is neither yesterday or tomorrow, neither past or future, so also is she the Goddess who typifies paradoxical mind-states and trance vision during which the awareness is suspended between waking and sleeping, neither conscious nor unconscious. Those who are granted such supernatural experiences “ride out” of their bodies in Hella’s spirit host and passing beyond the veil, enter her secret kingdom. So Hella is the Mistress of Witchcraft, of hidden spheres of experience, and that mysterious region between life and death, brightness and shadow. Yet ancient Skaldic lore speaks of the golden “Apples of Hel”, her magical other world fruit, which like that of Avalon, renews the youth of the soul and bestows immortality.

http://www.allchildrenofgaia.org/library/Newsletter/newsoct6.htm


Interesting. I wonder what is in store for me... More to come.

1 comments:

KrisMrsBBradley said...

Just wanted to stop in and say hi! And can I say, geez, your blog is beautiful!