Consonants and Vowels...

As I go on my journey that is my life, I am inclined to write about experiences or feelings, share pics, recipes, ideas, oh just whatever may pop into my cluttered brain. Feel free to read and or share if you so desire...

Monday, December 22, 2008

An "Old school" Yule...

So, I spent the better part of the last 3 days in complete darkness. No power. No lights. We sat in darkness on the Solstice and discussed what our ancestors may have felt or done at this time of year. The hardship. The cold. The hunger. It was eye opening. My son Colin sat up and exclaimed "That is why we are celebrating the return of the sun!" I was very proud. The last few days have been very trying. We got a few inches of ice and lost power on Friday Morning around 6am. We have not had power since. We had one small room with a heater, lots of candles, and blankets. All of my food is spoiled... To make matters worse, the Assisted Living community I work at lost power as well. It has been absolutely crazy. But, again... It was an amazing Yule experience, burning our Yule log, and reflecting on why the Sun is so important to us. We also connected more with our ancestors... I had an amazing dream on Friday night... My grandmother again. I am still doing some research, but she called me a name... I will share more later. We JUST got our power back and I need to do some cleaning, shopping, etc. I will catch up more later.

2 comments:

DarklyFey said...

I love how your son connected the dots like that! That's awesome. :) It must have sucked to lose power, but it sounds like you made the best of it all the same. <3

KrisMrsBBradley said...

What a powerful (if unplanned!) lesson. I'm sure it was not the most fun, but sounds like you had one of the more meaningful Yules that I've read about
this season.